Thursday, February 8, 2007

Mars Attacks!

Gary Johnson writes his article about the 1996 crazy, weird and goofy Martians who are trying to take over Earth. Johnson then goes on to explain the Martians,

"Instead of vicious tentacled monsters, we get big-headed, bug-eyed Martians with
ray guns that look exactly like souped-up water pistols."
Johnson explains how the movie was based off of a popular 1962 trading card game entitled Topps. He praises the movie and his only criticism was the fact that it opened around the same time that Independence Day so it was overlooked by many. Johnson considers this movie a gem and applauds Tim Burton for his creative twist on the classical Martians evade Earth plot. The provided link is from Corrigan's Images: Journal of film and popular culture, enjoy!

2 comments:

Michael said...

I have not seen this movie since I was kid, but I remembered loving it! I wonder if I go back and watch it again, I will notice the larger underlying themes...

Michael said...

Oh and change your picture. It isn't working.